Our Plans During The COVID19 Outbreak
We hope you and your family are well during this unusual time. Our family has been working from home all week and doing our best to keep hands washed. With two kids under 5, it's been an interesting experience, to say the least!
Although we do not have huge overhead and expenses that some of our other small business friends have, we have not been immune to the current rush of cancellations and closures. All events we sell honey at have been cancelled through June. Since we do not have a physical storefront, these markets are a big source of revenue and one of our only opportunities to have some visibility in the community. Not to mention that we tend to see our highest operating costs in the Spring as we stock up inventory for markets and prep for the bee season.
In an effort to keep our online shop operating, as well as show some solidarity with businesses running at low capacity in Astoria and around the city, we are instituting a 25% discount on all of our honey and bee products and $5 Flat Rate Shipping. Average shipping costs ranged around $10/order so we're cutting those costs in half for our customers to encourage you to stay home if you don't need to be out. We will still offer Free Shipping on orders over $50. Orders will be shipped as long as we are able to make it to the Post Office and are not under government orders to stop. If a time does come to stop, we will make it clear on the website.
Free Local Pickup is still available as long as our pickup location (Astoria Park Wine & Spirits) remains open. Hours of operation may vary as time goes on so check in with us or them to see when pickup is available.
We are very thankful to everyone who has made a recent order, began to organize to help small businesses, and has just been a decent, caring human being during this crisis. Here are some ways you can help us and/or our local community if you are in a position to.
To directly support Astor Apiaries:
- Order a jar of honey or anything else from our online store.
- Purchase a gift card.
- Join an upcoming virtual Bee Class. (dates coming soon)
To support our local community:
- Order a meal from the many local restaurants who are remaining open for takeout and delivery. Avoid ordering through the big apps, instead, order through the restaurant's website or call in your order.
- Buy gift cards to your favorite local businesses. The additional revenue now will help these business owners pay for rent and other regular expenses they are facing right now. Once this is all over, you'll have a great excuse to go out.
- Order groceries online and have them delivered to a local food bank.
- Signup to volunteer in some capacity. In Astoria, we already have a few initiatives started to help run errands for seniors or help local workers and businesses who are suddenly out of work. Lookup the Astoria Mutual Aid Network and AstoriaTogether.
- Donate to your favorite causes. Now is as good a time as any.
To support yourself and your family/neighbors:
- Stay clean. Wash your hands with good ol' soap and water and avoid touching surfaces that you don't need to.
- Keep your distance. We live in a time of video chat so take advantage of it.
- Check-in on your immediate neighbors and family, especially those who are at higher risk or may not have the means to maintain their normal routines. Many times New Yorkers live next to people for years and never meet them. Use this as an excuse to introduce yourself, with proper distance, of course.
There are a ton of other ways to do some good right now so get creative and make someone's day just a little better.
I wish you all a very safe and healthy future!
- Nick Hoefly