Meet the Bees Hive Tours
Come visit one of our urban apiaries in Queens or Brooklyn and Meet the Bees. Our hive tours will let you learn about the world of honey bees in a way that few get to experience, through the hands-on exploration of an active, living beehive.
Led by a certified Master Beekeeper, your tour will begin with a safety briefing and suiting up in protective gear. Once suited up you'll get up close and personal with more than 150,000 bees. Our public tours are perfect for individuals, a weekend date, or an adventure with friends!
Our Hive Tours run from May until September each year. We generally announce dates in March for the upcoming season.
Private Tours for Groups & Teams
We offer private tours starting at $200. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with an idea of how many people will be part of your tour and a preferred timeframe. We are happy to build a custom experience for your group.
What's the minimum age required to attend?
We are happy to host bee lovers of all ages, however, due to our limited number of kids' bee jackets, Child Tickets will be limited to 2 per tour. This event is best for kids 5 and up. All minors must be accompanied by an adult, no exceptions.
What's the refund policy?
Due to the limited number of these events, we are not able to offer refunds. Please make sure you are able to attend before you make your purchase. If you cannot participate, you may transfer your ticket to someone else. You must contact us more than 24 hours before the event to transfer your ticket. We will not honor transfers on the day of the event.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Nope. In fact, we prefer you just bring your phone and show us your e-ticket. Save some paper. If you must print your ticket, we won't judge. :)
Inclement Weather & Cancellation Policy?
If the weather looks like it will not be cooperating on the day of your tour, we will email you 24-48 hours ahead of time and let you know if the tour is canceled. If we have future dates to offer and you accept, we will transfer your ticket to the new date. If you cannot make it to a future tour date, we will issue you a refund.
We will also follow this protocol if there are any other reasons we have to cancel the tour. Besides an 'act of god' or our own decision to cancel a tour, there are no refunds if you cannot attend a tour for reasons beyond our control. We appreciate your understanding.
What if I'm allergic to bees?
Our short answer is that this is not the tour for you. Stings are always a risk during this kind of activity and as such, you participate at your own risk. While our bees our gentle and stings are very rare, it can still happen.
How do we keep our participants safe?
Safety is the main focus throughout the tour.
- We will brief you on proper protective gear and safe ways to move and stand around the hives.
- We carry a first aid kit for minor cuts or abrasions, however, we cannot administer any medications due to liability concerns. We DO NOT carry EpiPens, Benedryl or any other medication. In the case of a serious reaction, we will contact 911 for emergency services.
- Any participants exhibiting reckless or harmful behavior to themselves, the bees or most importantly, anyone else on the tour, will immediately be asked to leave.
- We are following all COVID safety precautions, see below.
Are there any COVID safety precautions?
Yes, we take the COVID-19 pandemic very seriously and are operating under special rules to make sure our guests safety is the first priority.
- All participants must show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test within 72 hours of the tour, no exceptions. Acceptable proof of vaccination can be show with your 1) paper vaccination card, 2) the NY State Excelsior Pass app, or 3) the NYC COVID Safe app. If you received your vaccination outside of NY state, you will not be able to use the Excelsior Pass app, but the other options will work.
- Masks are required upon arrival, so please bring one. Depending on the day and the group, your tour guide my use their discretion about wearing masks during the tour.
- If you have been exposed to others with COVID-19 or have a fever in the days leading up to your tour, please contact us and we will try to reschedule your visit.
- By participating in our tours, you agree to comply with all COVID precautions required by Astor Apiaries and our host sites.
What should I bring?
- Wear loose-fitting long pants.
- Closed-toe shoes are REQUIRED.
- Wear your mask.
- Do not wear perfumes or heavily scented lotions/shampoos/etc.
- Do not wear constrictive jewelry like rings or tight bracelets. If stung, body parts that swell may be injured by constrictive jewelry.
Still have questions? Contact us at email@example.com and we'll be happy to answer your questions.