This recipe comes from domesticgothess.com, visit their website for more.
These baklava pancakes are exactly what you need when you are looking for a creative pancake recipe. These are light, fluffy, and infused with the flavor of pistachios, warm spices, and our Astor Apiaries New York Wildflower Raw Honey.
- 150 g (¾ cup) granulated sugar
- 50 g (1.75oz) of Astor Apiaries NY Wildflower Raw Honey
- 150 ml (scant ⅔ cup) water
- juice of ½ small lemon
- ½ tsp orange blossom water
- ¼ tsp rosewater (optional)
- 200 g (1 + ⅔ cup) plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 5 cardamom pods, seeds only ground
- 120 g (½ cup) low fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 large egg
- 180 ml (¾ cup) milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp of the syrup
- 30 g (1oz) finely chopped pistachios
- 30 g (1oz) finely chopped walnuts
- 30 g (1oz) finely chopped almonds
- extra chopped nuts, pomegranate and yoghurt to serve
Start by making the syrup. Place the sugar, honey, water and lemon juice in a small pan over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved then bring up to a simmer and cook for about five minutes until reduced and thickened slightly.
Remove from the heat and stir in the orange blossom water and rosewater (if using). Set aside to cool.
To make the pancakes, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon and cardamom in a large bowl.
In a jug, whisk together the yogurt, egg, milk, olive oil and syrup. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry then mix in the chopped nuts.
Place a frying pan over a low heat and grease with a little bit of butter. Dollop a couple of heaped spoonfuls (I use a trigger ice cream scoop) of the batter into the pan and gently level it slightly (the batter is quite thick). Cook until bubbles appear on the surface then carefully flip the pancake over and cook for a couple more minutes on the other side, until golden.
Remove to a plate and repeat with the rest of the batter, greasing the pan as needed.
Serve the pancakes topped with a dollop of yoghurt, plenty of chopped nuts, a scattering of pomegranate arils and a generous drizzle of the syrup.