Chocolate & Orange Honey Cake
This delicious cake would make the perfect accompaniment to a hot cup of tea for an afternoon snack, or even as a nice breakfast cake. The cake doesn’t need any frosting; it is very flavorful on its own, and the richness of the honey really comes through. This cake tastes even better after a day or two, as the honey flavor comes out even stronger. Chocolate & orange is a delightful combination, and really brings out the bold flavor and smooth sweetness of the honey in this recipe.
- 1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup honey (Try our Orange Blossom Raw Honey)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice*
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips**
(*, **, see Special Tips below)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour an 8x8 inch baking pan.
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk together honey, eggs, oil, and orange zest. Slowly add dry ingredients into the honey mixture, then slowly add in orange juice and mix until just combined.
- Pour into pan and scatter chocolate chips over the top of the cake. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- I used one large navel orange for the zest and freshly squeezed juice and it yielded the perfect amount. Be sure to strain out any pulp from the orange juice.
- If you would like to mix in the chocolate chips, toss chips in a little bit of flour to prevent sinking, then add them in at the end of step 3 and gently combine.