This recipe comes from tasteofhome.com, visit their website for more.
Get your NY bagel fix with this easy homemade honey bagel recipe. Just add our NY Wildflower Raw honey and you'll never want to buy bagels again!
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup Astor Apiaries NY Wildflower Raw honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 4 to 5 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, 3 tablespoons honey, brown sugar, salt, and egg; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until a smooth, firm dough forms, 8-10 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through centers to form a 1-1/2-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; flatten bagels slightly.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 8 cups water and remaining honey to a boil. Drop bagels, 1 at a time, into boiling water. Cook bagels for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove bagels with a slotted spoon; drain and sprinkle with minced onion, sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
- Place bagels 2 in. apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Turn and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes longer.