Tea and honey is a classic combination, not unlike tea and scones! These Honey Scones have a hint of honey and can be enjoyed with fresh honey drizzled on top, and/or jam. Enjoy them with your favorite cup of tea for a traditional English tea time.
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Warm milk in a small saucepan on the stove and stir in honey until dissolved. Turn off heat and allow milk to come to room temperature.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in cold butter using a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles large crumbs. Make a well in the center.
- Whisk egg and combine with milk and honey mixture. Pour into the well and gently mix with a spoon until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently form dough into ball and roll out to 1" thickness. Do not knead dough.
- Cut dough into triangles with a sharp knife but don't separate pieces. This will keep them from drying out while cooking.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until top is lightly golden.
- Enjoy with butter, honey and/or jam.