Pumpkin Soup with Honey Roasted Chickpeas
- 1-2 tbsp butter or oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups roasted pumpkin, cubed
- 4-5 cups chicken broth
- Salt/pepper to taste
Honey Roasted Chickpeas:
- 1 (15oz) can garbanzo beans
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp Astor Apiaries Buckwheat Blossom Raw Honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Sea salt to taste
1. To roast pumpkin: remove stem, place sugar pumpkin on glass baking dish and roast at 350 for 1 hour. Cut in half, remove seeds and skin and cube into 1" pieces.
2. For soup: heat butter or oil in heavy stock pot and cook onion for 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir two minutes more. Add pumpkin, broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered on low heat. Let cool a little and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Pour into bowls and garnish with a scoop of yogurt (optional) and honey roasted chickpeas.
Note: for a creamier soup, add a cup of milk in place of a cup of broth.
3. Drain, rinse and fully dry chickpeas on a tea towel. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together honey, warm melted butter and spices. Add roasted chick peas to bowl and mix until chickpeas are completely covered. Place back on the parchment lined baking sheet and put in oven for 10 minutes more. Let cool, eat immediately.