Knafeh with Crispy honey Kataifi
This recipe comes from delicious.com.au, visit their website for more.
Knafeh is a delicious traditional Middle Eastern cheese dessert that works beautifully with our New York Wildflower Honey to create an earthy sweetness and a subtle cooling flavor.
- 80g unsalted butter, chopped
- 500g fresh ricotta
- 1 1/4 cups (125g) finely grated mozzarella
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 200g kataifi (shredded pastry – from Middle Eastern food shops) or 20 sheets filo pastry, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup (90g) Astor Apiaries NY Wildflower Raw honey
- 200g fresh honeycomb (from selected grocers – optional)
- 2 tsp rosewater (from gourmet food shops)
- Pistachios, to serve
- Dried rose petals (from gourmet food shops), to serve
Preheat oven to 200°C.2
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Skim off any foam using a spoon, then pour through a sieve lined with paper towel or a clean Chux into a large bowl (this will clarify the butter). Set aside.
Combine the ricotta, mozzarella and sugar in a bowl. Divide among 4 x 12cm (1-cup-capacity) ovenproof skillets or frypans. Separate kataifi into long strands and bunch into 4 bundles. Brush all over with clarified butter and arrange on top of the ricotta mixture. Place pans on a baking tray and bake for 40 minutes or until golden.
To make the honeycomb drizzle, place the honey, honeycomb, if using, rosewater and 1 tbs water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and spoon over warm knafeh.
Scatter with pistachios and rose petals, and serve immediately.